| CZECH REPUBLIC
| THE NETHERLANDS
| THE UKRAINE
| THE UNITED KINGDOM
| THE UNITED STATES
Hot International Campaigns:
- Anti-Nuclear Activist faces death sentence in Russia
- G-7 Plans to finish 2 Soviet designed reactors in theUkraine
- Binding National Referendum to close reactor in Slovenija
- French and German Governments to build sub-standard reactors in Slovakia
- 12-13 April - A Tribunal on Chernobyl will be held in Vienna
- 14 April - An exhibition on sustainable energy options and an exhibition by Atomic Photographers Association will take place;
- 15 April - there will be a major media conference with the Judges + verdict; For more info contact Int. Medical Commission
Chernobyl, dr. Rosalie Bertell, 710-264 Queens Quay West, Toronto Ontario M5J 1B5 Canada.
- For more details on Actions in Austria contact Global2000@t0.or.at
- March 30th - information day on Chernobyl, nuclear energy and renewables in Belgium, a phase-out scenario for Belgium and about the fate of Indigenous People,being the first victims of the nuclear chain. Org. For Mother Earth (FME) Belgium, Gewad 15, 9000 Gent +32-9-2334924
- 31 March till saturday April 6th - Biketour for a Future without Nuclear Energy. The route will go along all the proposed radwaste dumpsites in Flanders, the northern part of Belgium, to end at the NPP of Doel. Org. FME Belgium. During the biketour local people and local action-committees against the dumpsites will be invited to join the public rally at Doel NPP on april 27th.
- 26 April - non-violent direct action at the Belgian nuclear power plant of Doel. Org. FME Belgium.;
- 27 April - national rally will take place with a large network of citizens groups at the same NPP in Doel. Org. FME Belgium.;
- 17-26 April - Walk from Kiev to Chernobyl organized by FOR MOTHER EARTH International (their office is in Belgium) and Union Salvation from Chernobyl. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 23.-28. April International Seminar on Women and Energy in Minsk. Sponsored by the Ecumenical Forum of European Christian Women Commission on Ecology and Bioethics; contact: Marguerite Wieser, Chemin Challendin 12, CH-1208, Geneva Switzerland, Tel/Fax +41-22-349 0865.
- The Action Group For The Earth will have various theatrical actions in Sofia and other locations to raise awareness around the Bulgarian governments plans to complete the unfinished reactors at Belene. Contact Ogy at email@example.com
- 1-26 April - Hnuti DUHA will organize a mobile photo exhibition of the effects of the Chernobyl Catastrophe and alternative energy solutions which will tour the country until the anniversary. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- 19-20 April - Chernobyl + 10 seminar at the University Hospital (Rigshospitalet) in Copenhagen with participation of Professor Emeritus Dr E J Sternglass.
More info: Kristin Bielke tel /fax +39-31 63 06 66
- 24 April - The French group CSFR (Comit pour la Sauvegarde de Fessenheim et de la plaine du Rhine), close to the German border invite all people to meet on Place de la Catherdral Vieux Brisach (Germany) at 15:00 to commemorate the Tenth Anniversary of Chernobyl and to show their opposition against the Euroreactor. For more information contact the Energy Chernobyl Conference.
- 26 April - There will be a lot of decentralized actions organized by local groups;
- 26 April - The UNESCO-Project-Schools are planning an international project-day for solidarity. They are planning local activities on that date and will inform schools about these, Chernobyl and energy-issues in general. Signatures will be collected and sent to the European Union and Internationale Atombeh|rde (IAEA?) in order to persuade them to assist the victims of the disaster. Contact: Falk Bloech, Dr. Gottfried Strobl, Oberstufen-Kolleg, University str. 23, D-33615 Bielefeld; fax: +49.521.106-29 67.
- 27 April 27 - There will be coordinated demonstrations in six different places: Ahaus, NPP Krummel, Morsleben, NPP Biblis, Freiburg and Munich. Printed material will be produced to inform the public about the demonstrations;
- Rally "Sonnige Zeiten" (sunny sides), for an ecological energy change, Berlin. Info: Marek Sander, PF 1647, 55006 Mainz Tel. +49-6131-236767 Fax 236115
- A postcard campaign will be launched to commemorate the Chernobyl accident.
- 26 April - The Hungarian campaign will try to make newspapers publish information about Chernobyl.
- There will be a traveling photo-exhibition.
- 26 April - there will be country-wide actions coordinated by Energia Klub contact email@example.com
- A seminar will be held on the nuclear situation (worldwide, but especially in Eastern Europe). Based partly on the seminar, a comprehensive book on nuclear will be published.
- Lega Ambiente is planning to prepare a dossier on Chernobyl and a demonstration (maybe with a concert). This is very much unconfirmed though.
- VAS (Verde Ambiente e societa) is preparing a little book on the nuclear issue 10 years after Chernobyl, and an international observatory on all the international initiatives.
- Activities in Hiroshima planned as well as negotiations are carried out for bringing the Hiroshima exhibition to Kiev.
- 26 April - In about 20 towns there will be torchlight marches.
- At two nuclear power stations there will be actions and on the 27th there will be a bigger manifestation in Amsterdam. It will focus on western (Dutch) money being transferred into the nuclear industry in Eastern Europe. Contact Milieu Defensie at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 27 April - Bike-tours from different nuclear facilities to Utrecht, from where they will continue to Amsterdam for a national rally.
- If money can be raised, a postcard campaign addressing the Dutch government will be launched trying to make them stop the funding of nuclear power in the east.
- Big media money gathering events are going to be organized.
- 17-18 April - Moscow: A NGO summit on nuclear safety will be organized by a coalition of international NGOs. This meeting will be parallel to the G-7 summit on nuclear safety, which is being held in Moscow as well. Contacts in Russia: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In April 1996 an anti nuclear bike-tour will be held from Murmansk to the Kola NPP.
- 26 April - literature will be distributed in several cities on the Kola peninsula. Contact: Galina Horeva (Geya), tel. +7-81525-56752, fax 47-789-10653.
- NGOs in the city of Volgodonsk (near Rostov NPP) will organize a meeting between city administration and NGO representatives, as well
- as meetings with the media, schoolchildren and representatives of industry. contact: Milana SlinŸko email@example.com
- The environmental NGO Baikal Ecological Wave is planning to publish a special issue of their newsletter Wave on energy efficiency, nuclear power and the alternatives. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 26 April - Altai Ecological Center will show an anti nuclear video on city TV. Contact: Katun@glas.apc.org.
- 26 April - Tutaev Nature House will show an anti nuclear video on city TV. Kostroma NPP is located close to Tutaev. Contact: Maxim Klepikov, email@example.com.
- Chernobyl commemoration activities will be carried out in Komsomolsk-na-Amure (eastern Siberia). Contact: Vladimir Desyatov firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The environmental organization Viola is running a program of seminars on radioactive contamination in the region. A conference will
be held in Bryansk, Russia. Contact: Lyudmila Zhirina, email@example.com.
- 5 March - Experts Workshop on the Energy Economics as part of the continuing analytical series to review the possible closer of KThe ASTE Campaign to support the signature gather for a nationally binding referendum to close the Krsko NPP early will be coordinating
- 12-26 March - Greenpeace Renewable Energy Bus tour thru Slovenija Contact Albin Keuc at 386-61-572-468
- 24 March - Experts Workshop on the Nuclear Safety of NPP Krsko
- early April - Slovene version of the MultiVision show on Nuclear Power
- 4 April - Public Conference on alternatives to the Krsko NPP by ASTE contact Retina@kud-fp.si
- 26 April - In the northern city of Sundsvall there will be a major event. This part of Sweden was the most affected by the Chernobyl disaster.
- Further information can be found be contacting: WISE-Stockholm, Box 9152, 102 72 Stockholm; or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The youth organization of the Center Party is planning to commemorate the disaster with a chain of beacons along the Swedish coastline.
- April 12 - 26 An international walk From Kiev To Chernobyl
- Ecocenter in Harkov will act to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Chernobyl. There will be an exhibition of graphics and placards about Chernobyl. They will also organize an Ecology and Children Conference in March 1996. Contact: Liliya Slavutskaya, Ecocenter of Harkov, P.O. Box 1776, 310176 Harkov, Ukraine. Tel
+7-0572-116460, E-mail: email@example.com.
- Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament plans a walk to the reprocessing
plant of Sellafield. firstname.lastname@example.org
- General - The US campaign is organized by NIRS along with Greenpeace. They are attempting to set up Chernobyl relief activities in some 200 places across the U.S. during April. Vitamins, baby food, medicines, etc., will be collected. Apart from NIRS and Greenpeace, lots of other organizations will be involved. Organizing will be done among students, unions and religious communities as well. NIRS has set
up a Chernobyl + 10 area on their web site An extensive campaign will be directed towards local as well as national media. This will mainly be handled by Greenpeace.
- The Safe Energy Communication Council will release a new report: MYTHBusters #10: International Nuclear Power. The report contain an update on Chernobyl and rejecting the myths on nuclear energy.
- 25 April - In New York there will be an event consisting of speeches, poetry and music. Among the speakers are Helen Caldicott, Michio Kaku and Jay Gould. Key organizers include: the Open Magazine pamphlet Series and Learning Alliance. They will also release a book entitled, “Critical Mass: Voices for a nuclear free future.” For further information, contact: Greg Ruggieo, e-mail email@example.com.